Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Bermuda Grass Drives me Crazy!

Hello Friends, Yes, I'm writing about Bermuda grass. My friends up north probably don't know this grass as it is mostly a hot weather grass. It does very well in the summer and turns awful brown in the winter, it resembles hay in the winter. It sheds too. It starts shedding about now and with the boys rolling around outside playing football, I no doubt have Bermuda sheddings everywhere!! My vacuum will not be put away until the grass comes out of its dormant state. Here is a little information on this grass, I'm sure you are all excited to read about it and I bet you are jealous that you don't have bermuda grass sheddings all over your house that is of course if you don't live here.

Bermuda grass (Cynodon dactylon) is the most important lawn grass of the Sun Belt. It has all the essential characteristics a lawn needs for those regions—heat and drought tolerance primarily. The very aggressiveness of Bermuda is also it's key disadvantage. When creeping Bermuda invades flower beds and ground cover, it's called "devil grass" by frustrated gardeners. Bermuda grass is tough and fast growing enough to be one of the most popular grasses for sports fields. It's good for pet owners for the same reasons: damage from whatever cause will repair quickly. Bermuda tolerates little shade and will thin quickly in shade; and it becomes dormant and brown through cool seasons. There are many varieties of Bermuda grass. Common Bermuda or "Arizona common

2 comments:

Valerie said...

ummm...forget something this morning????

monkeyseemonkeydontdo said...

I KNOW I HATE THIS GRASS TOO!!! You have to be careful when barefoot b/c it pokes your feet! We are barefoot girls around here as you can imagine and I want that grass that is so soft and inviting, but NO I too have the "devil grass" hope yoga was good! See you tom