Thursday, August 18, 2011

Crazy Mazy

Learned from a friend the other day that another friend has held their child back in school. I totally get that, like if you're in 1st grade, gosh maybe even 2nd grade but 8th grade? Whoa! Now, if there is a serious issue with grades and maturity level, again, I can see it but to be held back in 8th grade for sports just doesn't make sense to me. I love sports. I love all kinds of sports and I'm all about kids making teams and doing awesome and getting scholorships blah blah blah but people, there are very few professional athletes in this world and knowing one personally, it isn't all glam and fame. If Rick and I sat down with our kids and said, look we think you need to redo this grade so you will have more potential to make the team, they'd look at us and say hell no! I know we all have different goals for our kids but sometimes things get skewed and just a little crazy. We've known several kids that their families have chosen this route and those kids struggled in school. Their friends were all a year older, they got bored, I do think they made the team, but I bet they would have made it anyway and both kids at one point or another had been suspended from school for major issues. I don't think either of them ended up playing ball in college. I live in a place where sports gets a little crazy mazy. I've always disliked that kids have to "pick" something at age 8 and focus on it. I'll never forget RS telling me, "I loved playing baseball as a kid because I loved the snack at the end of the game." Amen!

No comments: