Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Okay, You all know me, I do not like conflict one bit, hate it hate hate it unless of course it is my sweet husband snoring and then I don't mind whacking him. Anyway, I was just poking around the news and came across the Obama video where he talks about everyone learning Spanish. In the video he mentions that the spanish speaking people here should learn English but he also says that we should learn Spanish. He goes on to say that people from other countries know at least two languages, English and their own. Okay, I understand that , he also goes on to talk about Europeans and such and how they all know English. I just don't believe we all need to be speaking Spanish. He doesn't say we need to learn French, or German or Latin. He says Spanish. Nope. I don't think we should HAVE to learn it. If you want to, fine. Is knowing a second language a nice thing, yes, I think it is. But having to learn Spanish is ridiculous! If the Spanish speaking people are going to live here, they must learn English, because that is what Americans speak, but we do not have to learn their language b/c they are here.

2 comments:

Candice said...

I agree. I read awhile back that there were some illegal immigrants on trial for I think burglary. The judge sentenced them to learn english within a certain amount of time or they would go to jail. I wish that I was fluent in another language but not because I'm required to know it, but because I want to do it for fun.

Valerie said...

Our tour guide spoke FIVE differnet languages (Italian, English, French, Spanish and I can't remember the last one -- maybe Latin because she was also studying to be a doctor). I do believe the US is behind other countries because most of us only speak English (and most Europeans also listen to classical music) but T & I found that as long as you smiled and made the effort to talk to the shopkeepers or restaurant staff in their language, they were very pleased. I would like to learn another language but not because of immigrants to the US. If I were moving to France or Italy, I'd learn French or Italian out of respect.