Friday, January 20, 2012

Bikram Yoga aka Hot Yoga



Tomorrow is my first Bikram yoga class. Bikram yoga, also known as hot yoga is a 90 min. yoga session made up of 26 poses done twice in 105 degree heat/humidity! I've been wanting to try this for some time and I finally signed up for the introductory rate. I think it will be a wonderful way to end my week of work outs, stretch everything and sweat everything out! I did a yoga class last night at the Y. The new Y is really nice and we really need something like that here for our community. The intsructor was good, I liked her and I loved going with my friend. I had a good class and enjoyed it. It was crowded but it was an evening class and there are definitely some kinks that need to be worked out with the room theyre in. Hopefully they can fix the sound issue, and really they need to make a room just for yoga so people can get their zen on. I've loved yoga for years, I think my first experience with it was when Jack was a baby and I did a vhs tape my mom recommended. I forget the the instructors name, it will come to me eventually. I loved it and since then, I've done it off and on. Pilates came on the scene when I lived in INdy. I didn't like it as much as yoga, so I continued to stick with the yoga dvds. I hadn't tried a yoga class until we moved to Hoover. I loved being part of a class and learning from a live teacher. Yoga is not a competition which is hard to remember sometimes. I am not really competitive per say but I can be with the poses. Sometimes it's hard to remember we are all at different places and where you go with your pose is only about you. I'm hoping the hot yoga is everything its cracked up to be. Everyone I talked to says its really hard, thats fine, I like hard yoga and its really really good.

No comments: