Saturday, December 25, 2010

So This is Christmas

It's Christmas day, 2010. It's actually snowing in Hoover, Al. I'm sure all my native southern friends are so happy to have a white Christmas. I on the other hand prefer it to be sunny and crisp outside. That way, I'd be certain to get a jog in. I'm sitting on the sofa between two snoring dogs. One child is upstairs sick with a stomach bug, one child is up the street playing with all his friends new stuff and one child is learning all about his new xbox game. So I've been thinking about something Kate said last night. I had our dinner catered from an Italian restaurant. It was so yummy and the table looked beautiful. But her comment got me thinking. she said, "So we are the family that has dinner catered." I laughed and said, yes. This is perfect! So my thoughts on this are, I'm not a big cook. It just isn't my thing. I mean, I can't possibly do everything. I made almost everyones gifts this year, from scracth! I made all my own Christmas decorations, I shopped, I had a wonderful trip home seeing so many fun people and Kate and I even got our Christmas eve shopping in. It's just something we've always done and if I was to be home preparing a big dinner for us, then we wouldn't have been able to shop. So maybe the moms that cook the big dinners for everyone, don't leave the house Christmas eve. They can't possibly find time to browse the sales on the 24th when they're slaving over a stove. And, I bet those moms didn't make all their own Christmas presents either. It's okay that we had Lucia's for dinner. I know everyone loved it. I guess I'm not one who makes people happy through food. I've always kind of thought food was overrated. I mean, yes, we need it to live but we don't need a hundred different dishes. i'd much rather make people smile through my art and my gifts, and make beautiful plates for them to enjoy their home cooked meals on. I just can't do everything and I'm not even gonna try! Merry Christmas y'all!

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I think it is just fine that you had a catered dinner...who cares who made it,just so there is something to eat. I wish I had done that oh so many years ago....you do wonderful things for and with your family, of cooking christmas dinner isn't one of them so be it..would love to see pix of your table!

Unknown said...

I didn't take any pics of the table.:( I should have though. It was pretty. What made it really special was Jack farting! hahahah