Sunday, February 5, 2012

Spaghetti Squash


You never quite know what you'll come across when you type in loverly life. Sometimes its about my perfect  :p Lev Kids, sometimes you'll find information about yoga or exercise or food or even a favorite bible verse. Today though, I am writing about spaghetti squash. I don't think I ever had this fruit growing up. I mean, its way easier to buy regualr spaghetti already boxed  but spaghetti squash is so fun! I'm always amazed at how cool this fruit is. Spaghetti squash is also known as winter squash. Not sure why because it's available all year long. So go ahead, buy one at the store, bring it home and poke some holes in it. Put it in the microwave for 10 to 12 min. Let it sit for 5, it'll be hot and steamy then cut it in half. You'll have to clean out the seeds, its related to pumpkin so there are some seeds in it but once you see all the fun strings of flesh that look just like noodles, it'll be so worth your work! Pick out your favorite veggies, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, onions, whatever you like. I like to roast mine with a little olive oil and season salt and then toss them in with the "noodles" I also add my favorite spaghetti sauce and top it with parmesean cheese. I promise you'll be stuffed and you'll be so happy that you ate a meal filled with such nutrition! Spaghetti squash has 10 carbs per serving, reg. spaghetti has 42...Spaghetti squash has 40 calories per serving, regular pasta has 240. It has niacin and vitamin A and fiber to benefit so many parts of you! I'm not saying there isn't a time and place for regular pasta. Lord knows, I love me some good Italian but this fruit is fun and tastes yummy! I haven't convinved my family yet but I'm working on it! Give it a try!

No comments: