Friday, June 7, 2013

Donut Day!



Today is national donut day! Oh my goodness I love me some donuts. I really do love them. I love them enough to take time out of my morning and blog about them. Some of my favorite childhood memories include donuts. Growing up in Peoria Heights, IL we didn't have Dunkin Donuts down the road.Nope,we had Lester's Tasty Donuts! There were many Saturdays that my dad would leave the house early and head down Prospect to Lesters and come home with a box filled with 12 yummy donuts. You had to be up early to get the one with sprinkles because he'd usually pick out a chocoloate with sprinkles, a white frosting with sprinkles, a couple of jelly, (not my favorite) and a couple of floats with maple,white,& chocolate frosting and then the rest were just plain ole' glazed. Lester boxes were popular at Saturday morning St. Thomas soccer games too. They were fancied at birthday parties and slumber parties! I'd dunk my sprinkle donut in mom's coffee. I'm sure there were never any donuts left over in our house. We laugh now when we're all together on our beach trip when mom and dad come back to the house with a box of donuts from Winn Dixie. I mean, we're on vacation so its perfectly fine to indulge! When I pick up donuts for my kids, Jack always says, "mom don't get the ghetto donuts, get the good ones." He means Krispy Kreme because thats what we have here. The bagged donuts from the store just don't cut it. So today, enjoy a donut! What's your favorite? Sprinkles, cake, frosted, glazed, jelly, cream filled, all of the above! What a treat!

No comments: